Apache web server is one of the most popular servers for HTTP which supports PHP and Perl. This popular software is developed and supported by Apache Software in the United States. Many servers across the world are being managed by Apache webserver. The reason behind this is the speed and security that this company provides.
Apache is the name of a Native American tribe. This tribe was known for their courage and skills in war. This name was chosen in 1995 for the first version of this web server. In this article, we supposed to explain what is apache and why is it used?
The reason behind this is the speed and security that this company provides. Apache is the name of a Native American tribe. This tribe was known for their courage and skills in war. This name was chosen in 1995 for the first version of this web server. In this article, we supposed to explain what is apache and why is it used?
In 1996 Apache was well known across the world and it quickly became popular. Due to its open-source feature, it supports many modern technologies such as SSL and CGL. Apache supports Linux, Windows and etc.
Also, you can use macros and addons to improve, develop, and customize this software. They gave Apache the nickname “LAMP” for supporting 4 of the most used systems Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP/Perl. It’s safe to say that Apache supports all of the systems being used in today’s world. According to statistics from Netcraft.com, around 60% of websites in worldwide web use Apache.
In our previous article, we discussed how to install WordPress on localhost.
What is a Web Server?
Web server is a system/software that responds to the requests of browsers. It receives requests and then sends the desired requested page to users. Web server is a software that uses HTTP, to send files from a physical server to a user’s browser and without it, the user cannot open any pages. In simple words, a web server is referred to as a program that brings up the requested web pages.
A web server is able to map the path component of a URL received. It will either map it to a static or dynamic URL and then display the results to the user. If for any reason a web server doesn’t respond, an error will be displayed on your browser.
Why Use Apache Web Server?
Nowadays, there are many web servers that users use around the world. The most popular ones are Apache, IIS, LiteSpeed, LightTPD, and Nginx. Apache is the most popular one for a few simple reasons:
- Apache is free for both personal and business use.
- This software is trustworthy and offers excellent security. Also, Apache is open source and it allows its users to view the codes and modify to their needs.
- Apache web servers can be used for any websites (for websites with a few pages to websites with thousands of pages).
- A most common use of Apache is .htaccess that a lot of Linux experts use. Programmers can edit .htaccess to add their own features.
Advantages of Apache
As mentioned above, Apache is being used for 25 years and its popularity is still increasing and other web servers cannot compete with it. There are many advantages of the Apache webserver. We will mention some below:
- Since it is open-source, you need to a permit to view the codes.
- You can edit the code.
- You can add macros and addons to it. This feature made Apache popular in the programming community.
- Apache web server is trustworthy.
- You can save any changes you make without having to restart it.
- Apache supports two well known operating system in the world, Linux and Windows.
- Updated on a regular basis.
- Easy to install.
- You can host multiple websites at the same time.
- Simple structure.
- Supports many CMS’ such as WordPress and Joomla.
- It’s recommended for beginners.
- Apache documents and tutorials are updated on a regular basis.
- Apache doesn’t have any static or dynamic issues and can manage thousands of websites.
- Apache is the oldest web server in the world and support in its community is very active.
- High speed
Disadvantages of Apache
Apache may have many advantages but it also has some disadvantages. The important disadvantages are:
- As mentioned above, Apache is an open source. Therefore, if the codes are modified incorrectly it may cause some serious security issues.
- When we create new protocols in Apache some errors may appear in the code and to remove them you will have to hire a debugger.
- This web server needs constant updates.
- Websites with a high number of visitors may experience some issues.
- Apache web server is process-based. This means connections require separate threads that may be costly.
In a survey done in 2014, the statistics of most used and popular web servers are as follows:
- Apache: 60.6%
- NGINX: 20.6%
- IIS: 13.9%
- LiteSpeed: 2.0%
Although these numbers may have changed in the 5 years span, it is strongly believed that due to the advantages of Apache, it’s still the most used web server.
Apache allows you to host a website without having to worry about any security risks. This web server is suitable for small to medium size websites. Apache has a good relationship between different CMS’ such as Joomla, Drupal, Weebly, and WordPress which is why a lot of WordPress users rely on Apache.